Raw desserts are delicious, the elimination of refined ingredients and the addition of some superfoods can make them both a sweet treat and powerful functional food. If you have not yet tried our Vegan Lemon Poppyseed Doughnut Holes, what have you been doing go on and make them they are wonderfully sweet and refreshing! These Strawberry and Cream Doughnut Holes are an incredibly sweet treat, dairy and sugar-free and taste like strawberries in cream, amazing!
If you can get your hands on some freeze-dried strawberries that is great but dehydrating them works just fine and that is what I did in this recipe. We have an Excaliber dehydrator and every now and then if the bananas get too ripe or the pineapple, mangoes or apples, we dehydrate them! They make wonderful snacks and are a great addition to trail mixes or salads. Plus, you cut down on food waste, dehydrated food will last a long time.
I love throwing maca into homemade snacks, it is a great way to battle chronic stress, adrenal fatigue, brings some balance to your hormones making stress more manageable, increasing energy and improving libido. To learn more about the amazing benefits of Maca root I highly recommend reading our Maca post!
Maca is a wonderful superfood, it isn’t a herb or a supplement. In Peru, to this day people consume maca on a daily bases and at a high amount. When you are new to maca, or even getting back on to it, it is important to start with a low dose, as some people have felt a nervous energy or heart palpitations from consuming a high dosage.
I personally place 2tbsp into these doughnut holes and make between 15-18 balls. I don’t eat all these at once (though they are wonderfully good). I start with one if I am feeling energized I stop there. I take no more than 2. If you are just starting off with maca I would recommend 1 tbsp and a maximum daily serving of 2 balls. If you plan on eating more than 2, cut the amount down to 1-2 tsp or you can omit it altogether!
This treat is a perfect meal prep snack, keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks, though they do go fats. If you try out this recipe let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #holistickenko on Instagram! Have a wonderfully positive day everyone!
Strawberry and Cream Vegan Doughnut Holes
- 1/3 cup quickly soaked yellow raisins
- 3 medjool dates
- 1 cup ground dry almond pulp
- 1 cup ground rolled oats
- 1 cup dehydrated/freeze dried strawberries
- 1/2 cup ground coconut meat
- pinch of salt
- vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Organika gelatinized maca
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut butter or coconut manna
- 3 tbcp raisin water (more if needed)
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- hibiscus tea (optional) for sprinkles
- In the food processor grind the almond pulp and rolled oats until it turns into a fine powder. Add into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the dehydrated or freeze-dried strawberries. I like to do it in two batches, the first batch I grind very well into a fine powder, the second one I like to leave slightly bigger bits to give a nice strawberry texture. Add into the mixing bowl.
- To the bowl add the salt and maca. Combine well with the ground almond, oats and strawberries.
- In a food processor add the coconut meat and process until it breaks down int small crumbly pieces. Add into the mixing bowl.
- Into the food processor add in the soaked raisins, Medjool dates (pits removed), vanilla extract, maple syrup, water from the soaked raisins and coconut butter. Blend until you have a smooth texture. Add into the mixing bowl.
- Combine the ingredients until they form a dense dough. You can use your hands to do this.
- Form into small balls and place in the freezer to harden up. In the meantime make the glaze.
- Throw all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until the coconut oil and lemon juice have slightly emulsified.
- Remove the doughnut holes from the freezer (they don't need much time, 5 minutes or less is fine) and dip it into the glaze, place on parchment paper and sprinkle with a bit of hibiscus tea (this is optional). Let the glaze set and then store in the fridge and enjoy.