There is a lot of variety out there for snacks, not everything is healthy and even the healthy stuff may have a high amount of sugar or be rather expensive. These raw vegan lemon poppyseed doughnut holes are the perfect midday snack to get you back on track, energize you and fill you up. They are lightly sweet, amazingly refreshing and so very delicious. With a hint of maca, that is optional but also recommended, they turn this sweet treat into a power-filled functional food.
I love throwing maca into homemade snacks, it is a great way to battle chronic stress, adrenal fatigue, brings some balance to your hormones making stress more manageable, increasing energy and improving libido. To learn more about the amazing benefits of Maca root I highly recommend reading our Maca post!
Maca is a wonderful superfood, it isn’t a herb or a supplement. In Peru, to this day people consume maca on a daily bases and at a high amount. When you are new to maca, or even getting back on to it, it is important to start with a low dose, as some people have felt a nervous energy or heart palpitations from consuming a high dosage.
I personally place 2tbsp into these doughnut holes and make between 15-18 balls. I don’t eat all these at once (though they are wonderfully good). I start with one if I am feeling energized I stop there. I take no more than 2. If you are just starting off with maca I would recommend 1 tbsp and a maximum daily serving of 2 balls. If you plan on eating more than 2, cut the amount down to 1-2 tsp or you can omit it all together!
These raw vegan treats are absolutely superb! If you try out this recipe let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #holistickenko on instagram! Have a wonderfully positive day everyone!
Raw Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Doughnut Holes
- 1 small organic lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- Place the golden raises in a bowl or glass and let them soak us for 2-3 hours until they have almost doubled in size. Drain them.
- In a food processor combine raw walnuts, rolled oats, salt and almond flour. Blend until you get a nice fine powder. Empty and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Into the food processor add the soaked and drained raisins, lemon juice and zest, coconut manna, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Blend until you have a nice thick and smooth consistency.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. At this point, if you want to add the maca sprinkle it in. as well as the poppy seeds. Combine well until you have a nice dough like consistency.
- Roll the balls into larger balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet that will fit in the fridge.
- While the doughnut holes are cooling in the fridge make the coconut cream. Combine all the ingredients int he food processor and blend until the coconut oil has emulsified.
- Scoop a tiny amount of the coconut cream on top of the doughnut holes and place them back into the fridge to cool off. Once they have firmed up you can transfer them to a bag or container.