I spotted a couple of avocados that were screaming with ripeness and so the idea was planted in my mind to make key lime pudding (I am supposed to lay off the chocolate, so chocolate pudding was out of the question). And this delicious raw key lime pie recipe came to be.
If all you had was a mortar and pestle you could make this, it would take you a while but it would be worth it. Plus you wouldn’t need to go to the gym – you’d have godly arms!!
Raw Key Lime Pie
KEY LIME PIE FILLING
4 avocados (ripe, organic, medium in size)
3 organic limes, zest and juice from all three.
1 heaping tablespoon of organic cashew butter
himalayan sea salt pinch
a tbsp of maple syrup or honey
soaked and pitted dates (1/3 cup)
pecans (1 3/4 cup)
a pinch of salt and vanilla bean
a handful of raw unsweetened cacao nibs (will make the crust slightly bitter, if you don’t want that – add 2 cups of pecans instead of 1 3/4 cup)
a tbsp of raw organic cacao powder
- Begin with the crust.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until a thick paste is formed. It should be moldable like play-dough
- Into a small round spring form pan press the crust evenly on the bottom, don’t let it be too thick. If you have extra begin to cover the sides of the pan – even if only a little.
- For the filling scoop out the avocado flesh and place into a food processor with the rest of the filling ingredients and pulse until well combined and silky smooth.
- Add the key lime filling over top. Cover with plastic wrap (so that a skin does not form) and place in the refrigerator until set (4 hours or overnight). It can also be placed in the freezer and set out for 20-30 minutes to thaw.
- Enjoy as is, or with coconut whipped cream.
Benefits of Avocados
- blood sugar control
- insulin regulation
- satiety and weight management
- decreased overall risk of unwanted inflammation
- Great for cardiovascular health, especially in the reduction of oxidative damage — why leads to plaquing of the arteries of the arteries.