This delicious and simple salad was inspired by a salad my dear friend Rosanna brought to our summer evening picnic. Made with fresh summer produce, you can may this salad any time of the year but it is so much more delicious when you make it from local fresh produce.
This salad is mayo-free, making it great for vegans. It is simple to make and is delicious served warm or cold. It also holds up well in the fridge, where it can be stored for between 2-3 days.
This salad is perfect for small potatoes. The combination of red and white potatoes bring great vibrancy to the salad. If you can get your hands on purple potatoes that would make the dish look almost like a rainbow.
What I love most about this salad is how well it holds in the fridge. The flavours build together and although the almonds slightly soften, they still, along with the sweet peas, bring a great crunch to the salad.
Potato and Green Bean Salad
- If you do not have toasted almonds, turn the oven to 350 degrees. Add parchment paper to a sheet pan and add almonds to it. Add 1-2 tsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix with hands so that all almonds are coated. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them in half and then after in quarters. Wash the green beans you can cut off the ends if you so choose. Cut them into thirds, so that you get bite-size piece
- In a large pot bring lightly salted water to a boil. Add the cut green beans and let them cook for 3-4 minutes so that they are still crunchy. Make sure you have an ice bath ready. Once the green beans have been cooked, use a sieve spoon to scoop them out and add them to the ice bath. This will retain their green colour.
- To the same pot of boiling water add the cut potatoes. Let them cook for between 12-15 minutes. at the 10 minute mark test the potatoes with a fork. Once soft drain the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are cooking remove the sweet peas from their pods. You want to have 1 cup of the sweet peas
- In a serving bowl add the cooked potatoes, along with the green beans, the toasted almonds and the sweet peas. Sprinkle over top with salt and drizzle in the olive oil. Toss until well combined.
- Serve warm, however, it is delicious as cold leftovers as well.