A creamy, delicious and gut healthy snack or breakfast, homemade Vegan (and paleo) Organic coconut yogurt is simple to make and you can whip it up in no time at all.
Dairy Yogurt, when made right can be incredibly healthy and healing for the body, however as the milk is pasteurized a great deal of the beneficial bacteria cannot survive in that environment and though they are added in after the process they often die quickly as there is not much to sustain them – unless a ridiculous amount of sugar is added – but who wants that!.
Making homemade coconut yogurt is a great alternative.When you buy coconut yogurt at the grocer it’s filled with a lot of additives and preservatives (so is dairy yogurt). So make sure you choose wisely.
For regular yogurt (dairy) make sure it has two, the most three ingredients (milk and bacterial culture).
Organic Coconut Yogurt
- 2 400 ml Cans of Organic Coconut Milk
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 50-100 billion probiotic count open capsules
- Pinch Vanilla Bean optional
- 1 tsp Agave
- 1 tsp agar agar flakes to make it thicker like Greek yogurt*
- Disinfected Mason Jar
- Heat the Coconut milk until it boils and then turn it off.
- Add vanilla, salt, sugar and agar agar – Make sure all ingredients are well combined. Let it cool completely.
- Disinfect a Mason Jar with boiling water.
- Once the coconut milk is cold add the probiotics (open each capsule and let out the probiotics – as the yogurt ferments it will build up its culture).
- Add the yogurt to the mason jar and store in a cool dark place for 48 hours (I left it on my kitchen counter and it was fine as well). Cover with a clean dish towel or plastic wrap.
- Store it in the fridge for around two weeks.